Travel dates: January 5 - 21, 2019
Number of students on program: 10 students
Travel to Botswana with faculty from Adelphi’s College of Nursing and Public Health to explore the cultural, political, economic and social factors impacting healthcare. Specifically, students will explore the link between traditional and modern medicine, healthcare financing, the role of NGOs and the state of HIV. Students will be asked to think deeply about the concept of “community” and how it affects health in Botswana and the United States, in addition to the way each country approaches education and healthcare. Having grown up and practiced nursing in Botswana, Professor Ditsapelo McFarland brings a lifetime of local knowledge and professional connections to this program, offering students a unique African experience. And what would a course in Africa be without experiencing the amazing landscapes of Botswana, including excursions to Chobe National Park and Victoria Falls? This 2-credit course, Culture, Health and Healing in Botswana, (0302-209) is open to students of all majors and fulfills one Global General Education requirement. Some class sessions will be held at Adelphi's Garden City campus prior to and upon return from Botswana.
Itinerary Coming Soon
2019 Botswana Syllabus
Ditsapelo M. McFarland, Associate Professor, College of Nursing and Public Health, email@example.com
Margaret Silver, Associate Professor, College of Nursing and Public Health, firstname.lastname@example.org
- During open planning, students should register online for the following 2-credit intersession course, Culture, Health and Healing in Botswana, (0302-209). All registrations will need CIE Office approval.
- All participants will receive undergraduate credit.
- Graduate students may participate; however, they will receive undergraduate credit that will not count toward their graduate degree.
- The course is considered part of the 2019 spring semester and traditional undergraduate students only pay additional tuition fees if they are part-time (11 credits or fewer) or exceed 17 credits.
- Part time students, graduate students, or students enrolled in specialty programs (e.g. Accelerated B.S. in Nursing, Accelerated M.B.A.) will be charged the standard per credit undergraduate tuition rate.
- Non-Adelphi students will be charged tuition and fees upon registration for this course.
- All participants will be charged a $150 study abroad fee.
- All tuition charges and fees will be assessed to the student's online tuition account for the relevant semester.
Estimated Program Cost: $6115.
The program fee includes:
- Accommodations in shared rooms at the University of Botswana
- Round-trip airfare (NYC to Botswana)
- On-site orientation with CIEE
- Guest speakers
- In-country ground transportation
- 5 day excursion to Chobe National Park
- Entrance fees for site visits
- International health insurance
The program fee does not include:
- Personal expenses
- Passport & visa fees (US citizens do not need a visa)
- Luggage fees
- Adelphi tuition and study abroad fee (charged to tuition account; see above)
Apply directly online by clicking "Apply Now" above. You will then need to make a deposit to reserve your spot. Program acceptance is done on a first-come, first-serve basis, based on the order in which the deposits are received. Your application will be considered incomplete without the program deposit. Cash, checks or money orders (payable to Adelphi University) are acceptable forms of payment. The Center for International Education is located in Nexus 145 on the Garden City campus. Office hours are Monday - Friday from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm.
Application Procedures & Deadlines
Mailing Instructions: (checks & money orders only)
Center for International Education
Adelphi University, Nexus 145
One South Avenue
Garden City, NY 11530
The payment timeline is as follows. Please note that a $50 non-refundable late fee will be assessed for each payment deadline missed.
Before September 17 : $500 (non-refundable)
October 15: $2600
November 19: $2015
December 10: $1000
Refund & Cancellation Policy
The program deposit is non-refundable unless the program is cancelled. An attempt to recover funds from our tour providers will be made, but no refund is guaranteed.
Health and Safety
- All students participating in Adelphi faculty-led programs may be eligible to have their financial aid package re-evaluated based on the additional program fees listed above. Keep in mind that most re-evaluations result only in an increase in loan eligibility and funds may not be available until after the start date of the program. Students who anticipate using loans must be registered for a minimum of 6 credits. Students are responsible for meeting all payment deadlines above, regardless of their financial aid status. If you would like to discuss your financial aid package, you should visit the Student Financial Services office in the lower level of Levermore Hall.
- Please note that recipients of the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) must register for at least 12 credits in the spring semester in addition to this course in order to maintain their eligibility. January intersession courses do not count toward that 12-credit requirement.
- Find updated Travel Advisories & Alerts posted by the Department of State here.
- For updated health information pertaining to your study abroad destination, visit the CDC here.