Summer 2018 May 22 - June 15
Through a special partnership with the American College of Norway (ACN), Adelphi students have the unique opportunity to earn Adelphi credit in Norway…not your typical European destination. ACN is located in Moss, Norway, a charming town on the Oslo Fjord with approximately 40,000 residents. It has all the benefits of a large city but with a small-town feel. Within walking distance of the ACN campus you will find a new shopping mall and movie theater as well as galleries, cafes and markets.
Moss is a 45 minute train ride from Oslo, Norway’s capital city, a thoroughly modern and vibrant Scandinavian city that showcases an energetic nightlife, festivals, sporting events, concerts and other cultural experiences…not to mention the restaurants, theaters, shops and historical sites. In addition to being so close to Olso, Moss is a gateway to the rest of Europe, with the local airport offering regular, inexpensive flights to dozens of European cities. From the local train station, which is a short walk from campus, you can make connections to cities in Norway, Sweden, and beyond.
Summer School Information 2018.pdf
Summer school at ACN is a unique classroom experience. Every summer, ACN focuses on important global issues. Classroom discussions are a major part of our summer program and the classes consist typically of 50% American and 50% Norwegian students.
Need more reasons to join ACN for the Summer?
- Earn up to 6 credits in 4 weeks
- Small, interactive classes
- Exciting field trips in Oslo and Østfold
- Inexpensive per credit price
2018 Summer Courses
HON 391: Colloquium in the Sciences: Environmental Challenges of the 21st Century – 3 credits
Instructor: Dr. Jeff Carmichael, University of North Dakota
Welcome to Environmental Challenges of the 21st Century! This course is designed primarily for non-science majors with an interest in the relationship between humans and our environment. We will spend time during this course building on your fundamental knowledge of science and nature and will explore controversial issues such as global climate change, genetically modified foods, water scarcity, energy demands, environmental pollutants, and other pertinent issues.
HUM 300: Oslo: The City as Text – 3 credits
Instructor: Dr. Tami Carmichael, University of North Dakota
What makes a city a city? Why do cities look the way they do? What makes one city different from another? What can you learn about a people, a country, a culture, by studying one of its major cities? How do cities help us understand the truth and reality behind human behaviors? These are the questions we will examine as we explore Oslo, Norway, learn about its history, culture, construction, and the challenges facing it into the future.
All summer program costs are paid directly to the institution.
The estimated cost for Summer 2018 is $2,520 (one class) or $3,520 (for two classes), this includes tuition, housing/utilities, field trips, and $120 refundable housing deposit. It does include health insurance, $150 Adelphi study abroad fee, airfare or meals (housing is in apartments with kitchenettes for cooking, there are also several restaurants within walking distance of the school).
In order to be accepted in an Adelphi study abroad program students are required to:
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.5 in order to apply to study abroad at ACN.
- Schedule a mandatory meeting with a study abroad advisor by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the adelphi study abroad application. Click APPLY NOW below.
- Once the Adelphi Study Abroad application is complete, please print and complete the ACN Study Abroad Application (1).docx.
- Bring the completed form to the CIE office to submit on your behalf. (Application deadline March 9)
- Meet with your academic advisor to explore programs and course options. It is important that the school you are interested in offers the courses you need to take in order to graduate on time.
- Select the courses you would like to enroll in and fill out the AU Course Equivalency Form.docx. Courses must be approved before you depart for your program.
All students must receive CIE approval to study abroad prior to having Student Financial Services determine their eligibility for funding for such study. Students will receive a revised Financial Assistance Award Letter after their eligibility has been confirmed. Depending on eligibility and any additional costs associated with the study abroad experience, students might receive an adjustment in their financial aid package.
All students studying abroad with ACN are required to purchase insurance with CISI Insurance, a worldwide coverage plan. For more information about CISI insurance please contact the CIE office.