Travel Dates: June 29 (arrive in Orvieto) - July 13, 2019
Number of students on program: 10 students
Spend two weeks in Italy this summer exploring the biological, developmental and social bases of multicultural issues in counseling and psychology. Professor Jairo Fuertes, Ph.D., has been bringing groups of Adelphi students to Orvieto since 2012, letting them explore how culture, history, tradition and language influence psychological development and behavior. This course includes research on assessment, intervention with underrepresented populations, and clinical cases that focus on international populations and underserved sexual and racial groups. Students will also spend several days in Rome visiting the counseling center at Sapienza University of Rome, learning from Italian professionals and interacting with Italian students of psychology. This course is taught at the graduate level, but open to undergraduate students. Although most of the work will be done in Italy, there will be a pre-departure class session at Adelphi's Garden City Campus.
2019 Orvieto Itinerary
Jairo Fuertes, Professor of Psychology,
PMH 505 Multi-Cultural Issues In Counseling ITALY - Syllabus
Gordon F. Derner School of Psychology, firstname.lastname@example.org
Francesco Gazzillo, Associate Professor,
Department of Dynamic and Clinical Psychology,
Sapienza University of Rome
- During open planning, students should register online for the following 3-credit summer course, Multicultural Issues in Counseling (0507-505). All registrations will need CIE Office approval.
- This course will be taught at the graduate level. Undergraduate students are eligible to participate upon faculty approval. If accepted, undergraduate students may choose to have the credits applied to their undergraduate degree or applied to future graduate study.
- Students will be charged per credit tuition at the appropriate rate for this course.
- All participants will be charged a $150 study abroad fee.
- All tuition charges and fees will be assessed to the student's online tuition account for the relevant semester.
Estimated Program Cost: $1500 + $3780 (3 credits of graduate tuition) + international airfare (estimated at $1300.)
The program fee includes:
The program fee does not include:
- Double occupancy accommodation in Orvieto
- Continental breakfast daily
- CISI international health insurance
- 3 group meals
- Ground transfer from Rome airport to Orvieto
- Train tickets from Orvieto to Rome
- One day tour of three towns in Tuscany and two tours in Orvieto
- Guest speakers
- Round-trip airfare (estimated at $1,300)
- Adelphi tuition and study abroad fee (charged to tuition account; see above)
- Return transport in Italy for return flight
- Personal expenses
- Most meals
- Passport & visa fees (US citizens do not need a visa)
- Tourist activities in Rome
Application Procedures & Deadlines
Apply directly online by clicking "Apply Now" above. You will then need to make a deposit to reserve your spot. Program acceptance is done on a first-come, first-serve basis, based on the order in which the deposits are received. Your application will be considered incomplete without the program deposit. Cash, checks or money orders (payable to Adelphi University) are acceptable forms of payment. The Center for International Education is located in Nexus 145 on the Garden City campus. Office hours are Monday - Friday from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm.
Refund & Cancellation Policy
Mailing Instructions: (checks & money orders only)
Center for International Education
Adelphi University, Nexus 145
One South Avenue
Garden City, NY 11530
The payment timeline is as follows. Please note that a $50 non-refundable late fee will be assessed for each payment deadline missed.
March 1: $300 (non-refundable)
April 1: $600
May 1: $600
The program deposit is non-refundable unless the program is cancelled. An attempt to recover funds from our tour providers will be made, but no refund is guaranteed.
Students are responsible for their own travel documents, including obtaining a passport and researching entry regulations.
- All students need a valid passport with an expiration date at least six months after your return.
- U.S. passport holders do not need a visa to enter Italy for this short-term program. If you are a citizen of another country, please work with appropriate consulate general for study abroad destination in order to identify and obtain appropriate entry documents. Email the Center for International Education (email@example.com) if you need assistance.
- For students maintaining F-1 international student status, interested in participating in a study abroad program, the following must be completed:
- Contact the Office of International Student Services in order to review your I-20, passport and F-1 visa for review and guidance for participation.
- Request a travel endorsement signature valid for re-entry into the United States.
- Maintain valid F-1 status
Financial Aid & Scholarships
Health and Safety
- All students participating in Adelphi faculty-led programs may be eligible to have their financial aid package re-evaluated based on the additional program fees listed above. Keep in mind that most re-evaluations result only in an increase in loan eligibility and funds may not be available until after the start date of the program. Students who anticipate using loans must be registered for a minimum of 6 credits. Students are responsible for meeting all payment deadlines above, regardless of their financial aid status. If you would like to discuss your financial aid package, you should visit the Student Financial Services office in the lower level of Levermore Hall.
- Adelphi University offers several study abroad tuition scholarships for undergraduate students. Find more information here.
- Find updated Travel Advisories & Alerts posted by the Department of State here.
- For updated health information pertaining to your study abroad destination, visit the CDC.