International Education at the University of Limerick
Through a special partnership with the University of Limerick, Adelphi students have the unique opportunity to earn Adelphi credit in Ireland. Limerick is the third largest city in the Republic of Ireland and is easily accessible by air, coach or train. The UL campus, astride the majestic river Shannon, is regarded as Ireland's most beautiful university campus.
UL is very popular with students of Humanities and Social Sciences; it is also an ideal destination for students of Business, Science, and Information Technology. Students may select and combine courses from all four Faculties of the university, thereby meeting their own personal major, minor, or general elective course requirements. Unique to UL, students have a 2 week “try-out” period for all classes. Students can go to as many classes as they choose for the first 2 weeks, and then choose their top classes for the rest of the semester.
Find a full list of UL courses here. If the term you want to study abroad is not yet posted, refer to the same semester of the previous year.
Adelphi requires a minimum GPA of 2.5 to study abroad. University of Limerick has a 2.9 GPA requirement to be admitted into their program. If you do not meet these requirements and hope to study abroad, please email email@example.com.
Housing and Meals
UL offers students on-campus accommodation in several “villages.” Regardless of which village you choose, you will have your own private study bedroom equipped with a good size desk and complimentary access to high speed connection to the internet through the university network. All five residential villages are self-catered, meaning students arrange for their own meals - fully equipped kitchens are shared with up to seven other students. Every Saturday there is a farmer's market on campus as well as 16 restaurants on campus (including a Starbucks).
Student Support Services
UL encourages students to keep in touch with the office while on campus. UL offers academic support, counseling, a medical center, information and advice on immigration, accommodation and culture. They also provide specific pre-examination and pre-departure meetings at the end of each semester as well as a buddy program.
The International Office organizes a number of off campus activities each semester. These include a special Thanksgiving dinner in the fall and organized trips to Dublin and West of Ireland (or Cork) tourist attractions.
Application Procedures and Deadlines
Students are required to submit an online application through the CIE website and must also complete a separate application to the study abroad university to which they are applying.
The application process can seem overwhelming, but here are some guidelines to follow:
- Attend a group advising session at the Center for International Education to obtain an overview of the study abroad process. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Complete the Adelphi study abroad application. Click the APPLY NOW button on this page. If you are not sure of which program you want to apply for, complete the general application here.
- Schedule a mandatory meeting with a study abroad advisor by emailing email@example.com.
- Meet with your academic advisor to explore programs and course options. It is important that the school you are interested offers the courses you need to take in order to graduate on time.
- Select the courses you are interested in enrolling in and fill out the AU Course Equivalency Form. Courses must be approved before you depart for your program.
- Apply directly to University of Limerick. Review University of Limerick application instructions and complete the University of Limerick online application.
Adelphi Application Deadlines:
Fall: March 15
Spring: October 15
University of Limerick Application Deadlines:
Fall: June 1
Spring: November 20
Scholarships: 100% Adelphi scholarships apply during the fall and spring terms when students pay their regular Adelphi tuition and fees (housing is paid directly to UL). For summer sessions, students pay all expenses directly to UL.
Students should carefully review their finances when considering a study abroad opportunity. Please set up an appointment with Adelphi University's Student Financial Services (basement of Levermore) to understand how studying abroad will impact your financial aid and scholarship package.
All students studying abroad with UL are required to purchase insurance with CISI Insurance, a worldwide coverage plan. For more information about CISI insurance please contact the CIE office.
All International Exchange Students are required to register with the Garda Immigration Services within 2 weeks of arrival in Ireland and will be issued with a Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) Card.