Travel dates: January 3 - 14, 2019
Number of students on program: 10
Travel to Costa Rica and explore how sustainable development interconnects with peace building, human rights and political ecology. During this 3-credit field course, students investigate public policy and development from a global perspective and create innovative solutions to current global challenges. Join us as we participate in community development, hike in rain forests and cloud forests, learn from an indigenous community,visit an organic coffee estate, a sustainable fishing village and much more! This program is made possible through Adelphi’s partnership with the United Nations-mandated University for Peace. The course, Costa Rica Expedition: Quest for Sustainability (0960-326-001), is open to all majors and fulfills one Social Science and Global General Education requirement. Upon completion, students receive an official certificate in sustainable development from the University for Peace. As a student in this course, you will become a member of a research team, keeping a journal to record your experiences and observations, and work closely with the professor to develop an academic project connecting your major and interests to current global challenges. No prerequisites are required; however, knowledge of sociology, political science, environmental studies, and Spanish is useful. Some class sessions will be held on the Adelphi campus prior to and upon return from Costa Rica.
2019 LGS Costa Rica_Itinerary DRAFT
2019 Costa Rica LGS Draft Syllabus
Peter Debartolo, Administrative Director, Levermore Global Scholars Program, email@example.com
- During open planning, students should register online for the following 3-credit intersession course, Costa Rica Expedition: Quest for Sustainability (0960-326-001). All registrations will need CIE Office approval.
- All participants will receive undergraduate credit.
- Graduate students may participate; however, they will receive undergraduate credit that will not count toward their graduate degree.
- The course is considered part of the 2019 spring semester and traditional undergraduate students only pay additional tuition fees if they are part-time (11 credits or fewer) or exceed 17 credits.
- Part-time students, graduate students, or students enrolled in specialty programs (e.g. Accelerated B.S. in Nursing, Accelerated M.B.A.) will be charged the standard per credit undergraduate tuition rate.
- Non-Adelphi students will be charged tuition and fees upon registration for this course.
- All participants will be charged a $150 study abroad fee.
- All tuition charges and fees will be assessed to the student's online tuition account for the relevant semester.
Estimated Program Cost: $2,700 + airfare
The program fee includes:
- In country ground transportation
- Eco-friendly lodging
- Most meals
- Entry fees for site visits
- CISI international health insurance
The program fee does not include:
- Round trip international airfare from USA to San Jose, Costa Rica (DO NOT BOOK YOUR FLIGHT UNTIL YOU RECEIVE INSTRUCTIONS FROM CIE)
- Personal expenses
- Optional adventure activities
- $30 Costa Rican airport departure tax
- Luggage fees
- Passport & visa fees (US citizens do not need a visa)
Application Procedures & Deadlines
Apply directly online by clicking "Apply Now" above. You will then need to make a deposit to reserve your spot. Program acceptance is done on a first-come, first-serve basis, based on the order in which the deposits are received. Your application will be considered incomplete without the program deposit. Cash, checks or money orders (payable to Adelphi University) are acceptable forms of payment. The Center for International Education is located in Nexus 145 on the Garden City campus. Office hours are Monday - Friday from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm.
Mailing Instructions: (checks & money orders only)
Center for International Education
Adelphi University, Nexus 145
One South Avenue
Garden City, NY 11530
The payment timeline is as follows. Please note that a $50 non-refundable late fee will be assessed for each payment deadline missed.
Before September 17: $300 (non-refundable)
October 15: $1,400
November 19: $1,000
Refund & cancellation policy
The program deposit is non-refundable unless the program is cancelled. An attempt to recover funds from our tour providers will be made, but no refund is guaranteed.
Heath and Safety
- The Levermore Global Scholars Program invites all LGS students in good standing to apply for The LGS Study Abroad Award. This $500 cash award may be used to cover any program-related expenses. For more information, contact Peter DeBartolo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All students participating in Adelphi faculty-led programs may be eligible to have their financial aid package re-evaluated based on the additional program fees listed above. Keep in mind that most re-evaluations result only in an increase in loan eligibility and funds may not be available until after the start date of the program. Students who anticipate using loans must be registered for a minimum of 6 credits. Students are responsible for meeting all payment deadlines above, regardless of their financial aid status. If you would like to discuss your financial aid package, you should visit the Student Financial Services office in the lower level of Levermore Hall.
- Please note that recipients of the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) and must register for at least 12 credits in the spring semester in addition to this course in order to maintain their eligibility. January intersession courses do not count toward that 12-credit requirement.
- Find updated Travel Advisories & Alerts posted by the Department of State here.
- The Zika Virus is present in Costa Rica. For updated health information pertaining to your study abroad destination, visit the CDC here.