Travel Dates: January 5 - 15, 2019
Number of Students on program: limited to 20 students
The English-speaking world’s theater capital awaits students with an interest in the arts and a desire to spend time in one of the world’s greatest cities. This program is a theater appreciation and criticism course built around seeing seven carefully chosen London productions, with related tours and events, including a day at Stratford-upon-Avon, Shakespeare’s birthplace. Experiencing London Theater, (0192-201), is a 3-credit course that fulfills an arts distribution requirement and Global Learning goal. Students are expected to attend two 3 hour lecture/discussion sessions on January 3rd and 4th at the Adelphi University Garden City Campus from 9:00 -12:00pm, prior to traveling to London on the 5th. There will also be a pre-departure meeting in November.
2018 London Theatre Itinerary
2019 London Theatre Syllabus
Specific performances will be identified by December. Past programs have included world-wide hits like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, Matilda, One Man Two Guvnors, War Horse and productions from The Royal Shakespeare Company, the Royal National Theatre, The Old Vic, world-class independent theatres like the Donmar and Almeida, West End musicals and comedies, and “off-West End” avant-garde companies.
Sean Sullivan, Associate Professor of Theatre, firstname.lastname@example.org
Evangeline Whitlock, Adjunct Professor of Theatre, email@example.com
- During open planning, students should register online for the following 3-credit intersession course, Experiencing London Theatre (0192-201). All registrations will need CIE Office approval.
- All participants will receive undergraduate credit.
- Graduate students may participate; however, they will receive undergraduate credit that will not count toward their graduate degree.
- The course is considered part of the 2019 spring semester and traditional undergraduate students only pay additional tuition fees if they are part-time (11 credits or fewer) or exceed 17 credits.
- Part-time students, graduate students, or students enrolled in specialty programs (e.g. Accelerated B.S. in Nursing, Accelerated M.B.A.) will be charged the standard per credit undergraduate tuition rate.
- Non-Adelphi students will be charged tuition and fees upon registration for this course.
- All participants will be charged a $150 study abroad fee.
- All tuition charges and fees will be assessed to the student's online tuition account for the relevant semester.
Estimated Program Cost: $4,000 (includes airfare)
The program fee includes:
- Round trip airfare (NYC-London)
- In-country transportation
- Seven theatre tickets
- 3-star hotel accommodations with free WiFi
- Daily breakfast
- 10-day Tube Pass for zones 1&2
- Tour of the National Theatre
- Day trip to Stratford
- CISI international health insurance
The program fee does not include:
- Lunches and dinners
- Personal expenses
- Passport & visa fees (US students do not need a visa)
- Luggage fees
- Transport to and from JFK
- Adelphi tuition and study abroad fee (charged to tuition account; see above)
Application Procedures & Deadlines
Apply directly online by clicking "Apply Now" above. You will then need to make a deposit to reserve your spot. Program acceptance is done on a first-come, first-serve basis, based on the order in which the deposits are received. Your application will be considered incomplete without the program deposit. Cash, checks or money orders (payable to Adelphi University) are acceptable forms of payment. The Center for International Education is located in Nexus 145 on the Garden City campus. Office hours are Monday - Friday from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm.
Mailing Instructions: (checks & money orders only)
Center for International Education
Adelphi University, Nexus 145
One South AvenueGarden City, NY 11530
The payment timeline is as follows. Please note that a $50 non-refundable late fee will be assessed for each payment deadline missed.
Before September 17: $400 (non-refundable)
October 15: $2,600
November 19: $1,000
Refund & Cancellation policy
The program deposit is non-refundable unless the program is cancelled. An attempt to recover funds from our tour providers will be made, but no refund is guaranteed.
Students are responsible for their own travel documents, including obtaining a passport and researching entry regulations.
- All students need a valid passport with an expiration date at least six months after your return.
- U.S. passport holders do not need a visa to enter England for this short-term program. If you are a citizen of another country, please work with appropriate consulate general for study abroad destination in order to identify and obtain appropriate entry documents. Email the Center for International Education (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you need assistance.
- For students maintaining F-1 international student status, interested in participating in a study abroad program, the following must be completed:
- Contact the Office of International Student Services in order to review your I-20, passport and F-1 visa for review and guidance for participation.
- Request a travel endorsement signature valid for re-entry into the United States.
- Maintain valid F-1 status
Financial Aid & Scholarships
All students participating in Adelphi faculty-led programs may be eligible to have their financial aid package re-evaluated based on the additional program fees listed above. Keep in mind that most re-evaluations result only in an increase in loan eligibility and funds may not be available until after the start date of the program. Students who anticipate using loans must be registered for a minimum of 6 credits. Students are responsible for meeting all payment deadlines above, regardless of their financial aid status. If you would like to discuss your financial aid package, you should visit the Student Financial Services office in the lower level of Levermore Hall.
- Please note that recipients of the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) must register for at least 12 credits in the spring semester in addition to this course in order to maintain their eligibility. January intersession courses do not count toward that 12-credit requirement.
- Adelphi University offers several study abroad tuition scholarships for undergraduate students. Find more information here.
Health and Safety
- Find updated Travel Advisories & Alerts posted by the Department of State here.
- For updated health information pertaining to your study abroad destination, visit the CDC here.